Progress

Finally got into TextFugu again... Summer holidays make you lazy, especially if you're a master of procrastination...

Friday, July 9, 2010

Learning Hiragana

Everybody learns differently, that is true for everything, including hiragana (ひらがな). I want to present the method I used to learn hiragana. This won't help everybody, and it takes a great deal of motivation to get started, which even I only rarely have.

I started learning hiragana a bit over a year ago. After 9th grade I was stupid enough to enter the optional 10th grade instead of going on to HTX (high school). I didn't finish that and ended up studying "Technical Design" for half a year. I used most of the time being bored in front of a computer screen, so I used that free time to learn hiragana.


http://www.yosida.com/en/hiragana.html


My main method of learning hiragana was this: I found a great hiragana chart over at www.yosida.com/ (you can find dakuten and combination hiragana further down on the page). The chart even had gif animations of stroke orders. So I began with the first five hiragana -- あ, い, う, え, お. I simply begin writing these down on a piece of paper in the right stroke order. I did this many times. Then, at times, I took out a piece of paper and wrote those that I remembered down. Those I couldn't remember, I looked at again and repeated the process. And I gradually repeated this for all basic hiragana.

Then, after remembering them pretty well, I took a piece of paper once in a while and began drawing a chart of all basic hiragana. I did this once in a while, just to keep myself from forgetting them. I then began making charts for dakuten and combination hiragana as well. And once again, I once in a while took out a piece of paper and began making charts, those that I didn't remember I looked at again and repeated the process.


http://smart.fm/goals/24666


Now, after remembering them all quite well, I used smart.fm's great Master Hiragana list with the iKnow and BrainSpeed applications to train it.

So that's it, my method for learning hiragana. I can't guarantee that it works for everyone else, but it worked well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment